Submissions are currently closed. New dates will be announced later this year.
14th ANNUAL SAN FRANCISCO DANCE FILM FESTIVAL
San Francisco Dance Film Festival (SFDFF) is a multi-day international event showcasing the best in dance film from around the world. Looking ahead to our 2023 festival, we intend to return to hosting as many in-person programs as possible, building back the much-missed excitement of film on the big screen and live interactions among artists and audiences. We may also offer virtual programming and bonus material to include our international community who may not be able to attend in person. The exact structure is TBA and will depend on current health guidelines.
SFDFF has become one of the most respected and influential dance film festivals in the world. A non-profit organization operating year round, SFDFF has the mission of supporting independent artists through screenings, panels, filmmaking workshops, and original film productions that bring together professionals from the communities of dance, filmmaking, and music in unprecedented collaborations.
2023 SUBMISSIONS DATES
Opening Date: February 1
Early Bird Deadline: February 8
Regular Deadline: April 16
Extended Deadline: May 8
$40 per entry / $25 student rate (early bird deadline)
$50 per entry / $35 student rate (regular deadline)
$60 per entry / $45 student rate (extended deadline)
AWARDS & PRIZES
All films selected for the Festival are eligible for the following awards. Winners will be selected by independent award jury.
— Best Documentary
— Best Live Performance Capture
— Best Screendance Film
• Under 10 minutes
• Over 10 minutes
— Best Student Film
— Best Art/Experimental
Audience Favorite awards, selected by audience survey, will be announced the week following the festival. Award winning films may be presented at an encore screening during SFDFF’s spring festival.
• Eligibility for filmmaker awards
• Free Festival Pass providing admission to programs and events during the festival
• Industry networking and discovery opportunities. Several of the films screened at SFDFF have gone on to receive distribution offers.
• Opportunities for further exposure via our “Encore Shorts” spotlight series, “On the Road” touring reel and other educational outreach programs
• Inclusion in our permanent digital archive
• “Official SFDFF Selection” laurel to help promote your film
Unfortunately we can’t cover travel or accommodation expenses, but we would be happy to provide an official letter of invitation for you to seek travel grants.
1) All dance-based films of any style or length will be considered.
Please note: Although we will accept films that are publicly available online, in order to attract press coverage for your film, it is preferred that links remain PRIVATE until after the closing of the festival.
2) Films must have a production date of 2020 or later.
3) Submissions accepted through FilmFreeway only.
4) Films with dialogue or music lyrics must include a closed caption .srt file if selected
5) Student filmmakers must submit a current, valid student ID or proof of enrollment at the time the film was made, with your submission
Selected films will be requested in their native frame rate in QuickTime format using one of the following codecs: ProRes, ProRes HQ, or ProRes 4444. Blu-ray may be requested as an additional option for films over 20 minutes ONLY. A ProRes file will also be required as backup.
Please use the contact form below or call us at 844.567.3333